Before we started down the path of adoption, I knew the stories behind a lot of the normal comics. I never really thought about the fact that these super heroes were effectively adopted. Now it seems like I am seeing adoption much more in media, television, and movies and it isn’t just another part of the story that fades into the background.
I know that this comes from going through the adoption process and always scouring the internet for more information about adoption. However, it is awesome to think that there are mainstream stories out there involving adoption. I also like the fact that the super heroes grew up to do exceptional things whether they had super powers or not.
Here are just a few that I know of:
- Superman – born on Krypton and sent to live on planet Earth by his parents before they and the entire planet was destroyed. A couple in Kansas found his space ship and raised him as their own child.
- Batman – his parents were killed when he was young and he was raised by his butler Albert.
- Wolverine – his father and mother died when he was an adolescent and his grandfather would not take him in so he fled to a small mining town, the foreman took him in as a father figure.
- Spiderman – lost his parents and was raised by his Aunt and Uncle until his Uncle was killed as well and then just by his Aunt.
- Iron Man – was never actually adopted but his parents were killed shortly after he became an adult and so he was on his own with no support or family to help him
Can you think of any others?